Wind effects influence the design of buildings, towers and bridges as well as the public spaces around building developments used by pedestrians and building occupants (e.g. outdoor eating and relaxation areas). Heggies Wind Engineering consultants we can provide wind tunnel testing of scale models which can be used to provide confident predictions of such wind effects as a basis for structural and architectural design.
In some cases however, time constraints on projects do not permit wind tunnel testing and require the wind engineer to provide qualitative guidance based on previous experience and the results from previous full-scale tests and wind tunnel tests. This approach is now often supported by a computer-based modelling approach involving Computational Fluid Dynamics.
Heggies services in this area include:
- Wind impact assessments for pedestrian comfort and safety for DA submissions
- Design advice to ameliorate adverse wind conditions through the use of of landscaping, canopies, porous windbreak elements such as pergolas and other wind-sheltering structural features
- Preliminary design wind load estimates (for both structural and cladding loads)
- Design of tuned mass dampers to limit wind-induced response of buildings and towers
- Expert testimony in court and at statutory body hearings
- Structural Load Testing & Full Scale Dynamic Testing
If you would like to receive more information about these services or speak with a consultant, please contact us here.